The leading causes of throat infection are:
· Viral Infections like flu or colds are often accompanied with fever, muscle aches and runny nose. Viral infections have no cure but its symptoms are treatable. It disappears within a few days.
· Bacterial Infections like strep throat caused by Streptococcus bacteria is similar with viral infections but it’s long lasting and more severe. It is often accompanied by stomach ache, headache and swollen neck glands. It is treated with antibiotics because permanent kidney and heart damage may result. Bacteria culture is the only way to determine the cause of sore throat.
· Dry air with mouth open at night while sleeping
· Throat abuse like shouting, coughing and singing
· Mouth breathing
· Infected tonsils
· Cancer or polyps
· Food allergy
A sore throat is often minor but an annoying and disturbing ailment or it could be a sign of a serious illness. If you have a sore throat lasting for more than 2 to 3 days, you need to see a doctor. If you are only experiencing mild sore throat with allergy, there are home remedies which can work alone or with your medicine.
· Your nasal passages should be clear. Doctors believe that sore throats are caused by dry throat and post nasal drip when sleeping with mouth open. Decongestants may help with post nasal drips. Saline nasal spray also helps with easy breathing.
· Take it easy and rest. If you have the kind of sore throat that doesn’t need medication, resting is the best way to recovery.
· Gargle with saltwater. Gargle by adding ½ teaspoon salt into a cup of warm water. It reduces phlegm and inflammation. Gargle every 3 to 4 hours.
· Gargle with Listerine. Gargle using Listerine mouthwash. Don’t share cups if the Listerine is not yours. Instead, pour into another cup and gargle.
· Drink Cider Vinegar. You will be needing 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 table spoon of vinegar and 8 ounces of hot water. Mix all ingredients and sip slowly. You can use it as often as you desire. For gargling, you will need 1 teaspoon salt, ½ cup vinegar and 1 cup of warm water. Dissolve salt in the vinegar and mix into the water. Gargle as necessary or every 15 minutes.
· Horseradish cocktail is a Russian cure for sore throat. You need 1 tablespoon of horseradish, 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of ground cloves. Mix in warm water and drink slowly.
· Use citrus. Mix 1 tablespoon of honey and lemon juice in a cup of warm water.
· You may drink a tablet of acetaminophen or ibuprofen to relieve sore throat pain.
· Try eating a juice bar. It is soothing for a hot throat. Let the small pieces melt in your mouth. Sucking it makes the throat irritated even more.
· Drinking hot liquids if you’re not good with gargling. Hot coffee, tea or lemonade may help soothe the pain.